This week’s “Writing Wednesday” was inspired by my recent rewatch of “The 10th Kingdom”. It got me thinking of a few fun modern fantasy ideas, and since I’m in a sharing mood, I decided to pass them along to you!
If you see one you like and would like to use, please feel free to. If you come up with some, add them in the comments below, and I’ll put them on the list.
- City witches who use their mirrored phones, or just blank phone screens, as a scurrying mirrors.
- Witches under 21 carving new paths of magic, and laughing when their elders are confused at how they made new spells with technology. Alternatively, witches over 50 watching the new generations and shaking their heads, but also are secretly proud of their new students ingenuity.
- Vampires or orcs who post make up tutorials on YouTube to make themselves look more human.
- Witches who sell glamore spells at Ulta.
- Apartments that include “Brownie Clauses”, where tenants have to agree to leave offerings out because they’re the ones who fix anything needing repairs.
- Necromancers who own law firms that specialize in wills needing to be clarified by the recently deceased.
- Magic users who can’t have a garden going to Whole Foods for fresh herbs and chatting with others to find what spell works best.
- Mermaids who live in city lakes and curse anyone who pollutes it. City gets known for having the cleanest park in town because everyone’s too scared to throw trash in it.
- Benevolent Jinns helping children soldiers and kidnapped women escape their captors.
- Werewolves who have to play in dog parks because it’s the only place in the city where dogs are allowed off leash.
- Changelings finding out they’re fairies and staying with their human family and use their new magic to help make their lives easier.
- Dryad funerals held by city fae when a plot of land is turned into a parking lot.
- Leprechauns who change with the times and instead of collecting gold, collect bit coins, own credit card companies, and who know how to manipulate the stock market.
- Fire Salamanders that live in furnaces of major metal manufacturing companies, helping keep core temperatures stable.
- Yakshas that hold support groups for people struggling with bipolar disorders.
- Pixies that break or change road signs to get people lost.
- Ogres who own their own bodyguard business. They protect anyone who’s willing to pay them, so long as they get to eat anyone who attacks their employer.
- Huldrefolk trolls that make underground houses, only problem is if you’re an annoying client your house will have problems throughout your stay there.
- Goblins that sit in underground bars, smoking and drinking all while making bets with humans and swindling them out of their money.
- Gargoyles that have learned the hymns of their churches and sing them at night to the homeless who come seeking shelter.
I could go on, but this is getting to be a long list. Let me know if you’d like to see something like this again in the future. I’m sure I could come up with more.